The TATA IPL 2023 is about to begin in a few weeks time. But before it starts, make sure you are up to date with all the terminologies and history associated with it. One such topic is the Orange Cap. In this article, you will know everything there is to know about Orange cap.
The orange cap is an award given to the leading run-scorer in the Indian Premier League (IPL), the most popular T20 cricket league in the world. The orange cap was introduced in the inaugural season of the IPL in 2008, and has since been a coveted prize for the batsmen. The orange cap holder is determined by the total number of runs scored by a player in a season, regardless of the number of matches played or the team’s performance.
The orange cap holder can change after every match, depending on the current standings of the run-scorers. The orange cap holder is required to wear the orange cap while fielding, to signify his achievement. The orange cap is presented to the player at the end of the season, along with a trophy and a cash prize.
The list of orange cap holders throughout IPL is as follows:
- IPL 2008 Orange Cap Winner: Shaun Marsh (Kings XI Punjab) – 616 runs in 11 matches
- IPL 2009 Orange Cap Winner: Matthew Hayden (Chennai Super Kings) – 572 runs in 12 matches
- IPL 2010 Orange Cap Winner: Sachin Tendulkar (Mumbai Indians) – 618 runs in 15 matches
- IPL 2011 Orange Cap Winner: Chris Gayle (Royal Challengers Bangalore) – 608 runs in 12 matches
- IPL 2012 Orange Cap Winner: Chris Gayle (Royal Challengers Bangalore) – 733 runs in 15 matches
- IPL 2013 Orange Cap Winner: Michael Hussey (Chennai Super Kings) – 733 runs in 17 matches
- IPL 2014 Orange Cap Winner: Robin Uthappa (Kolkata Knight Riders) – 660 runs in 16 matches
- IPL 2015 Orange Cap Winner: David Warner (Sunrisers Hyderabad) – 562 runs in 14 matches
- IPL 2016 Orange Cap Winner: Virat Kohli (Royal Challengers Bangalore) – 973 runs in 16 matches
- IPL 2017 Orange Cap Winner: David Warner (Sunrisers Hyderabad) – 641 runs in 14 matches
- IPL 2018 Orange Cap Winner: Kane Williamson (Sunrisers Hyderabad) – 735 runs in 17 matches
- IPL 2019 Orange Cap Winner: David Warner (Sunrisers Hyderabad) – 692 runs in 12 matches
- IPL 2020 Orange Cap Winner: KL Rahul (Kings XI Punjab) – 670 runs in 14 matches2
- IPL 2021 Orange Cap Winner: Ruturaj Gaikwad (Chennai Super Kings) – 635 runs in 16 matches3
- IPL 2022 Orange Cap Winner: Jos Buttler (Rajasthan Royals) – 589 runs in 14 matches
Some Interesting facts about the Orange Cap
- David Warner is the only player to win the orange cap three times, in 2015, 2017, and 2019. He is also the only player to win the orange cap for the same team twice, Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Virat Kohli holds the record for the most runs scored in a single season, 973 runs in 2016. He also holds the record for the most centuries in a season, four in 2016.
- Chris Gayle is the only player to win back-to-back orange cap, Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2011 and 2012.
- Ruturaj Gaikwad is the youngest player to win the orange cap, at the age of 24 in 2021.
- Sachin Tendulkar is the oldest Indian player to win the orange cap, in 2010.
- Jos Buttler is the latest player to win the orange cap, in 2022.
Who do you think will win the Orange Cap this season? Comment and let us know.
Online Cricket Betting Apps
If you are interested in online IPL betting or want to do IPL betting predictions try 12bet.com